Monday, May 30, 2011

Why blog?



Why blog? I've asked myself this a number of times. Do I have anything interesting to say? Do I really want to be a part of what can be a narcissistic and self-promoting venture? That's how I've viewed blogs in the past. I can be quite cranky about technology - I don't even know how to text and don't particularly want to, but there comes a time, namely when the 80 year old next to you pulls out her smart phone and her fingers dance, that you figure, if you can't beat 'em, perhaps it's time to join them. I'm reluctant, but there are a few good reasons why I figure it's time.


~I want to get outside more, be more active, find that run-til-you-drop-fresh-air-crazy childhood I had, and also give my daughter as many chances as possible to roam and explore and feel perfectly happy outside as I had growing up. So saying that out loud and affirming it by having other people know in this kind of forum is impetus to stick to it.


~We're in an amazing place - and I want to explore and feel even more at home here. Walking down the streets of Banff, and at the library where I work, I feel very at home. But, I need to get into the hills more. Confession #1: the mountains kind of scare me. Having grown up in an endless expanse of prairie where you could see for miles, I still feel a little claustrophobic by the stone giants that encircle us. But, they are our home now and I want us all to feel every bit as comfortable here.


~I want to get better at biking, hiking and skiing. I'm a pretty active person: in the dance studio, the yoga studio and the gym. Time to take it out of doors. Confession #2: I dont' like not being good at things - and I'm not good at biking, hiking or skiing! I didn't learn how to bike until I was 6, and I still feel wobbly some times. I am fearful of riding down the streets - which isn't totally crazy, because there are a number of scary drivers around these parts - but it's time to feel more at one with a bike. And hiking, well my motives are vain - I want tight calves! There are some spiritual reasons too; I want to get to high places - get a little perspective (in more ways than one). And skiing, well, Confession #3 - I can't really. Well, that's not a confession really, it's pretty apparent if you've seen me semi-snowplow down a blue run, and most people probably haven't, I've been avoiding it for a long time despite my husband practically living on skis. I want to be able to shoosh - at least as well as my toddler.


~We can't afford to go anywhere exotic right now. So I intend for this year to be the ultimate Stay-cation. Millions of people come here from around the world to see the sights. I have accommodation and plenty of time to explore - how lucky!


~Practise makes perfect (or at least better). I hope that the dailiness (or at least weekliness) of writing, biking, hiking, skiing, exploring will help me get better.


~I want to have a place to express my appreciation for this beautiful place and all the opportunities we have. The blog will be a scrapbook of sorts.


~So, I've put it out there - these are my reasons. Let's hope I can live up to them! Here goes!

2 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for you! Glad you launched this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read your next post!!! Have fun out there!

    ReplyDelete